Center > What can be done to prevent abuse
within your own family?
What can be done to prevent abuse within your own family?
prevent abuse within your own family, be a good parent. Be loving, nurturing,
guiding and teaching. Yes, this is all easier said than done, but there
are ways to work on being a good parent. Here are some tips:
• Take care of yourself – the better you take care of
yourself, the better you will be able to care for your children. Set
aside some “me time” to exercise, nap, work on a hobby,
etc. Re-energize yourself and lower your stress levels before you
deal with your children.
• Give your child chores – not only will doing so give
you more time, but it will also lead to good cooperation between you
and your child and teach your child to be more responsible.
• Tell your child how much you love him or her. When your child
does something good, tell him or her.
• Respect your children – the more you respect them, the
more they will be able to respect you.
• Do not take anger/stress out on your children – if you
are angry at someone at work, do not yell at your children. Instead,
deal with that problem at work. Do not force punishment on your children
that they do not deserve.
• Have rules – when your child has boundaries, he or she
knows what to expect and can feel more secure. They need to know why
something they have done or might do is bad.
• Call a support helpline – if you continue to struggle
with how to properly deal with your children, then visit a local support
center or call a child abuse prevention hotline. There is help for
you out there. Do not give up! Numbers like 1.800.4.A.CHILD (1.800.422.4453)
can help not just victims but abusers and witnesses and survivors